Welcome back to the DuBois Law blog! Our blog here is meant to serve as a way to keep the residents of New York informed of their rights and what to expect during their journey through the legal system. If you've been arrested or stand accused of a crime, the best thing for you to do is to get in contact with an experienced defense attorney as soon as possible.
Being a seasoned Buffalo defense firm, DuBois Law is uniquely positioned to get you the best outcome we can for your case. Today, let's take some time to go over the process of obtaining a conditional driver's license following a conviction.
When you're convicted of a DWI or DWAI in New York, your driver's license will likely be suspended. Sometimes though, you can obtain a conditional license, which allows for limited driving permissions.
How long is my license suspended for either a DWI or DWAI?
Since a DWAI is considered a less-serious offense than a DWI, the amount of time your license may be suspended is lower. A conviction of a DWAI will have a suspension of 90 days. For a DWI, the suspension lasts 6 months. You will also need to complete New York State's Drinking Driver Program (DDP) to a satisfactory degree as part of it, and you're only eligible for the program once every five years following an arrest.
What conditions am I under for the conditional driver's license?
There are several conditions that restrict your access while using a conditional license. Those conditions are:
- To and from your place of employment
- If your employment requires the operation of a motor vehicle during the hours in which you are working
- To and from a class or an activity which is an authorized part of the alcohol and drug rehabilitation plan and where your attendance is required
- To and from a class or course at an accredited school, college or university, or at a state-approved institution of vocational or technical training
- To or from court-ordered probation activities
- To and from a motor vehicle office for the transaction of business related to the license or program
- For a three-hour consecutive daytime period, selected by the program administrators, on a day where you are not at your usual employment or vocation
- To and from medical examination or treatment for you or a member of your household, as provided by a written statement from a licensed medical practitioner
- To and from a place where your children or child are being cared for on a regular basis and are necessary for you to maintain employment or enrollment at an accredited institution.
Please Note: You may not use a conditional license to drive to or from high school.
There are also restrictions that can bar you from obtaining a conditional license even if you qualify for DDP, and cases where your conditional license may be revoked. Stay tuned for us to touch on those in a future post!
Dont Drink and Drive
The most effective way to ensure you never have to worry about a conditional license is to not drink and drive. Mistakes happen, though, and after years of working in the criminal defense field, especially DWI defense in New York, We Understand, and We Never Judge. If you or someone you know is charged with either of these offenses, please reach out to a reputable defense attorney before going any further. The end result of your case or matter can be influenced by your earliest decisions, so don't delay. It's imperative you retain a trustworthy defense lawyer who'll fiercely defend your rights.
DISCLAIMER: PAST RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE FUTURE RESULTS, AND THE OUTCOME OF YOUR PARTICULAR CASE OR MATTER CANNOT BE PREDICTED USING A LAWYER'S OR LAW FIRM'S PAST RESULTS. EACH CASE IS UNIQUE AND SHOULD BE EVALUATED THROUGH A PHONE CALL OR MEETING WITH DANIEL DUBOIS, WITHOUT COMPARISON TO OTHER CASES WHICH MAY HAVE HAD DIFFERENT FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES.
Reach Out Today!
Facing any charge is a stressful endeavor. If you or someone you know needs a DWI defense lawyer or a criminal defense attorney at all, don't hesitate to reach out to DuBois Law. You're innocent until proven guilty.
Remember to stay up to date with our blog, where we regularly go over these higher-level looks at NY Law, go over the process of arrest, and more. Don't just take our word for it, check out our Testimonials and Google Reviews! Everyone deserves the best representation to prove their side, which is why we have financing plans to be flexible for you.
Save yourself the trouble of searching “best criminal defense lawyers near me,” remember to call Dan DuBois Law at (888)-NT-GULTY [(888) 684-8589] or fill out a contact form. Get your FREE consultation today.